The UAE Golden Visa program was launched in 2019 to attract high-skilled professionals, investors, entrepreneurs, and talented individuals to the UAE. It offers an extended residency period beyond the typical tourist or work visa, allowing individuals and their families to reside in the country longer. The program provides various benefits, such as healthcare, education, and business opportunities in the UAE.
Understanding the UAE Golden Visa program’s eligibility criteria is crucial for individuals interested in obtaining long-term residency there. The program has specific requirements that applicants must fulfil, all of which will be discussed in more detail below.
Let’s get right into it:
Golden Visa General Eligibility Requirements
The eligibility criteria for different UAE Golden Visa program categories vary based on the applicant’s profile. Each category, such as investors, professionals, students, and retirees, has specific requirements that individuals must meet to qualify for the Golden Visa.
Understanding the specific eligibility criteria for different categories is crucial for applicants to determine the pathway that best suits their qualifications and aspirations for obtaining permanent residency in the United Arab Emirates.
Investors In Public Investments
If you invest in an investment fund, you may be granted a Golden Visa for 10 years without a sponsor, you will need to:
- Submit a letter from an investment fund accredited in the UAE stating that the investor has a deposit of AED two million, or
- Submit a valid commercial or industrial licence and a memorandum of association stating that the investor’s capital is not less than AED two million.
- Submit a letter from the Federal Tax Authority stating that the investor pays the government no less than AED 250,000 (two hundred and fifty thousand) annually.
Additionally, you must:
- own the invested capital completely; it must not be a loan and
- provide proof of medical insurance for himself and his family (if any).
With a sponsor:
- The investor must invest in a property with a gross value of not less than AED 5 million.
- The investment fund must be fully owned rather than funded through a loan. Proof must be provided.
- The investment should be held for at least three years.
Real Estate Investors
If you own a property or a group of properties, you may be granted a Golden visa for 5 years, renewable on the same conditions and without a sponsor. However, you need to:
- Provide a letter from the land department of the respective emirate stating that he owns one or more properties whose value is not less than 2 million dirhams.
- Purchase a property with a loan from specific local banks approved by the competent local entity.
- Own a successful project valued at Dh500,000 or more in a certified field in the UAE.
- Have the approval as a certified business incubator who founded the project.
- Provide a comprehensive health insurance document for themselves and their family.
If you are an entrepreneur, you may get a Golden visa for 5 years if you own an economic project of a technical or future nature based on risk & innovation. In addition, you must have an approval letter from each of the following:
- An auditor in the UAE stating that the project value is not less than 500,000 dirhams.
- Authorities in the emirate stating that the project is of a technical or future nature.
- An accredited business incubator in the UAE to establish the proposed activity in the country.
Outstanding And Specialised Talents
Outstanding specialised talents include:
- Creative people of culture and art
- Specialists in scientific fields
- Doctoral degree holders and
- Specialists in the fields of engineering and science.
Doctor And Scientists
- An approval Letter from the Ministry of Health and Prevention in the UAE to practise the profession of medicine (for doctors)
- A letter of recommendation from the Emirates Council of Scientists or the Secretariat of the Mohammed bin Rashid Medal for Scientific Excellence states that the applicant has been awarded the Medal of Scientific Excellence (for scientists).
- A recommendation letter from the Ministry of Economy stating that your patent has added value to the country’s economy
Creative People In The Fields Of Culture And Art
- An approval letter from the Department of Culture and Arts in the respective emirate.
- a copy of a university degree accredited by the Ministry of Education with educational attainment not less than a bachelor’s degree
- a letter of experience of no less than 5 years holding the same position
- a salary certificate with a salary of AED 50,000 at least
- A valid work contract.
- a recommendation letter from General Sports Authority or one of the sports councils
Specialists In Engineering And Science
- a copy of a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree certified by the Ministry of Education and a work contract.
High School Students
- If you are a high school student and a national-level topper, (with a minimum grade of 95 per cent in public or private secondary school) you may be granted a Golden visa for 5 years without a sponsor, subject to submission of a recommendation letter from Ministry of Education (Emirates Schools Establishment).Duration of the Golden visa for students is 5 years and may be extended if he/she is enrolled in one of the majors/colleges in the country that requires a study period of more than five years.
If you are an outstanding university student, you may be granted a Golden visa for a period of 10 years without a sponsor, provided that:
- the university must be rated either A or B class by Ministry of Education
- a recommendation letter from the university or an accredited graduation certificate or an accredited academic record stating that the student’s cumulative GPA is not less than 3.5 for A class universities and 3.8 for B class universities is submitted.
- it has not been more than 2 years since you graduated.
Outstanding students of foreign universities may be granted a Golden visa for a period of 10 years without a sponsor, provided that:
- The university is rated among the best 100 universities global according to the rating system recognised by Ministry of Education
- The student’s cumulative GPA is not less than 3.5
- It has not been more than 2 years since you graduated
- Graduation certificate is accredited by the Ministry of Education
Pioneers Of Humanitarian Work
If you are a pioneer of humanitarian work, you may get a Golden visa for 10 years. You must be one amongst the following categories to qualify as a pioneer of humanitarian work:
- members and outstanding employees who have worked for international and regional organisations for a minimum of five years
- members and outstanding employees who have worked for civil associations and institutions of public interest for a minimum of five years
- individuals who have received an appreciation award from a local, regional or international organisation that focuses on humanitarian work
- funders of humanitarian work provided that the value of the support does not fall below two million UAE dirhams or its equivalent.
Frontline heroes who displayed extraordinary effort in crises, such as the COVID-19 pandemic also may get the Golden visa with a recommendation from a competent authority. Frontline heroes include nurses, medical assistants, lab technicians, pharmacologists and other cadres approved by the Frontline Heroes Office.
Benefits Of Golden Visa
The UAE’s ‘Golden visa’ is a long-term residence visa which enables foreign talents to live, work or study in the UAE while enjoying exclusive benefits which include:
- an entry visa for six months with multiple entries to proceed with residence issuance
- a long-term, renewable residence visa valid for 5 or 10 years
- the privilege of not needing a sponsor
- the ability to stay outside the UAE for more than the usual period of six months in order to keep their residence visa valid
- the ability to sponsor their family members, including spouses and children regardless of their ages
- the ability to sponsor unlimited number of domestic helpers
- the permit for family members to stay in the UAE until the end of their permit duration, if the primary holder of the Golden visa passes away.
It is crucial to recognise the immense value of meeting the eligibility criteria for a UAE Golden Visa. This visa not only grants long-term residency in the UAE but also provides numerous advantages, including access to quality education and healthcare, the ability to establish businesses, and the opportunity to secure a stable future for oneself and family members.
The Golden Visa symbolises recognition and appreciation for individuals who have made significant contributions to the UAE’s growth and development.
Finally, we encourage readers to further explore and research the eligibility criteria for a UAE Golden Visa. As discussed, this visa offers remarkable opportunities for individuals seeking long-term residency in the UAE and aiming to contribute to its progress.
Ready to embark on your journey towards a UAE Golden Visa? Contact our team of experts today to discuss your eligibility, receive personalised guidance, and ensure a smooth application process. Let us help you turn your dreams of living in the UAE into a reality.
Was this article helpful? Let us know in the comments.